It seems that vacations always take too long to come and then before you know it, you're on a plane back home. This vacation was one for the books. There was so much packed into our 6 days and it was so fun to spend time with all of Eric's family.
This trip started out sitting next to a lady and her cat on the airplane. She was your typical anthropologist peace corp looking lady and had her cat, Pausha, stored underneath the seat in front of us. We got to talking and she told Eric and I all about her cat and then out of no where, she threw her book onto my lap and started frantically slapping the cat's face and repeatedly saying her name. She had given the cat some drugs on their flight from Alaska to Utah and they were now kicking into overdrive on our flight. It was pretty funny to see her whack her cat back to consciousness and Eric is very glad that we didn't have to pass a dead cat out the aisle to the flight attendants.
San Diego was beautiful. We did Sea World the first day and I fell in love with the sea lions. We watched all three of the animal shows and somehow ignored the fact that the sun was shining and we were seated close to the water. Needless to say everyone walked out of there a red. The part that was funniest to me was that most of us had red knees from sitting down so much.
There are giant sharks behind us, you just can't see them because I couldn't figure out a good camera mode.
This is Dolphin Stadium after the dolphin show
Shamu in the distance. We sat in the splash zone for the dolphin show and this one, but only got a little wet from the Shamu's.
Beluga Whales. One song that has stuck in my head from my childhood is "baby beluga" so it was really cool for me to see these whales. Eric and I also have a claim to fame with these whales because there was a baby beluga and we saw it breastfeeding. haha
The next day we spent at the mall, trying to find and beach, finding a beach, and playing in the ocean. We got to the beach later in the day and it was perfect because it wasn't super packed. One of the beaches we went to had seals just chillin in the sand. It was pretty cool to see them in their natural habitat after watching them at Sea World. The ocean was perfect temperature once we got used to it and it was so fun to play in the waves with Eric's siblings. I love the ocean and it was fun to go since Eric and I fell in love because of Oceanography.
after lunch. Linda had to take another picture because of Ben's pose, but I thought this suits him better.
Eric, Emily, and Blaine playing in the waves
After swimming in the ocean. Please ignore my awesome farmer's tan.
The next day was spent at Legoland. Our nephews and niece were way excited to go here. It was definitely a kids theme park, but we went on a couple rides. Eric's favorite was a pirate ship that had a water gun type thing attached to it. The water gun reached outside of just the ride and it was fun to shoot people who were just walking past. I had the greatest fish and chips here ever and Eric and I continue to crave them.
The first ride we decided to go on in Legoland had an hour and a half minute wait. Eric, Ben, Dallin, and Emma didn't want to wait so they went and did this ride then fit in about 6 more rides in the time we did one.
Sunday we found and ward and attended Sacrament Meeting. Since it was Memorial Day weekend they had men in their ward who were military talk. It was such a humbling experience to hear the stories of these men. I came out of it with a greater respect for the people who fight for us. After that we headed to the USS MIDWAY, an aircraft carrier and wandered around there for a good two hours. It was so interesting to see how everything on the ship worked. Eric, Ben, Dallin, Emma, Jeff and I went on a flight simulator of a plane taking off of the ship and it was hilarious. Jeff kept asking, "why are we doing this? I am gonna be sick!" And it was too much for Eric so he ended up closing his eyes half way through. Let's just say we aren't the greatest with motion sickness. On top of the carrier there were tons of planes and helicopters and actual pilots who had flown in them. It was so cool to talk to the men about their experience and seriously a great way to spend Memorial Day.
Next to one of the Helicopter's we looked at.
After the carrier we hit up the Mormon Battalion Visitor's Center. It was a different type of tour, that is for sure, but very interactive. If you go to San Diego, you have to go. Plus they let you pan for gold at the end and make you an honorary member of the battalion if you want.
Eric panning for gold
Monday was our last day and we went back to Sea World since Brian and Laura weren't there with us the first day. We all made sure to sunscreen up to avoid leaving as tomatoes again. We made sure to hit up all the shows. The kids loved it which made it even more fun.
We're so grateful to Eric's parents who put this all together. A lot of memories were created on this trip and we can't wait to get back.
And just because I think he looks really hot here!

Jody you and your husband are so cute together! yay for family vacations!! I cracked up reading your cat lady story! I love me a sweet kitty, but I have to admit I'd never take one on a plane. Glad your flight has some entertainment ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd Sea World AND Lego Land you definitely did it right :) Glad you had such a great time!!
And thank you SO much for entering and being up for the Pay It Forward challenge! :)